Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Quick Getaway


In April, we went for a last minute weekend trip to the Bahamas to check out the newest tower at the Atlantis, The Cove.  I had envisioned quiet time on the beach, 9PM bedtimes, and snorkeling adventures.  I was met with poolside grinding, a surround sound DJ that seemed to always be on the clock, and pro athletes and their model girlfriends canoodling on outdoor beds.  Clearly my Havaianas and I had been misinformed about what type of vacation we were walking into.  While my man went to go play blackjack poolside, I tried to find a lawn chair that was not next to a pulsating speaker.  Although I did end the weekend fully up to speed on the latest hip-hop mash-ups, poolside blackjack is as dangerous as it sounds, and we also walked away with crippling losses cursing the grounds of that trendy money-vacuum.  That is until we got a coupon in the mail for free rooms and companion airfare after which my BF convinced me that it was the trip of a lifetime and we must return.  I am a pushover for sunshine, so off we went.  Since my first review of The Cove was less than glowing, I went in with low expectations (and fewer reading materials).  Surprisingly, round two was actually quite lovely.  We ended up going with a group and did lots of beaching and eating.  The highlights of the trip were our visits to the One & Only Ocean Club for a tour of their gardens, sunset cocktails, and a dinner at Dune.  The moral of this story is that The Cove is meant for groups (think Bachelorette party) and its great as long as you have an escape route from Nicki Minaj tunes pre-11AM.  Or as they say - if you can’t beat them join them and make sure your tribal chunky accessories and wedges are packed and ready to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment