Sunday, January 23, 2011

LOL, TTYL, LYLAS, etc.

Technology is a beautiful thing but sometimes I feel like Ive missed the bus and I'm running up the street in midtown desperately trying to keep up.  I recently bought the iPhone 4, which I'm pretty sure is a smart phone but not a droid.  We have a flat screen TV which we never turn to HD because we didn't know we had it until two weeks ago even though the TV is one year old (Do I really need to watch Beverly Hills Housewives surgically enhanced lips in HD, probably not).   I was feeling pressure from Amazon to give in and get a Kindle but now there is a Nook and I don't know which way to turn.  When Netflix first came out I remember thinking, good luck random company Netflix, what a horrible idea.  Clearly no one should be looking to me for stock picks in this arena.  Goodbye dog-eared pages of my books, sandy from trips to the beach.  Goodbye trips to Blockbuster.  This is like a twisted version of Goodnight moon.  Goodbye to communication skills and human contact?  I sincerely hope not. 

I can only imagine how Mrs Johnson, my beloved sixth grade teacher, is faring through all of this.  She was a known stickler for grammar and  a notorious hunter of dangling modifiers.  I have a feeling she has not opted to go with the digital flow and is somewhere in Florida sticking her nose up at all of us.  R U OK Mrs. Johnson?!   I am very appreciative of the intensely anticipated grammar tests you gave us and I sincerely apologize on behalf of all of your students that there is no room for proper pronouns and prepositions in text speak.  I'm not sure what will take the place of these experiences, but I will gamely race to get my Kindle/Nook and I will read up on Google TV.  If you don't keep up with the highly technical Joneses you may be left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment