Sunday, March 27, 2011

Children of the Corn VIII

While home on a lovely Saturday afternoon having a coffee in silence, I happened upon an article from the NY Daily News about the new phenomenon cropping up in suburbia called 'Mom Caves'.  The article tells the 'Man Cave' to move on over because the Mom Cave is the new trend in homemaking, finding a much needed refuge for tired mothers needing a little 'me' time.  Like other selfish twenty-somethings I am the queen of 'treat yourself' and 'you deserve it' so this article peaked my interest but left me slightly disturbed. 

To create a Mom Cave, NY based designer Elaine Griffin suggests, 'turning a stair landing into a mini-sanctuary using narrow console tables, a luxurious rug, and a couple of armchairs.'

I am all for a room to call your own, but is mom-hood so draining that your desperation for alone time is cowering on the landing of your stairwell?!  I sure hope there's more to motherhood than a bedraggled woman finding an oasis under the stairs because that's all she has left.  The unassuming expose on mom caves turned my quiet Saturday with a latte in my shoebox apartment into a five star hotel experience on a private island.  A fresh perspective is all you need to appreciate the every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment