Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Operation Boycott Halloween


Call me the Grinch who stole hallows eve, but this year I decided to keep my sexy ladybug costume in the bottom of my closet, and not dress up or pay any homage to this good for nothing holiday.  Going rogue on Halloween may seem like no fun, but please see case study one, called Last Year on Halloween, as to why this idea makes perfect sense:

Last Year on Halloween: I dressed up as a flapper, and similar to most female Halloween costumes, this means I was out on the town in a scrap of fabric and a string of pearls.  It was 35 degrees.  As for a destination point, all bars either had a cover charge of over 100 dollars or a line down the block and around the corner packed with out-of-towners looking for a last minute costume party.  After getting jostled around in my flapper costume and never actually being served at the bar (too many angle wings edging me out), I had to walk home from the west side highway in said scrappy dress and stilettos in aforementioned 35 degree weather.  Not to mention this walk was twice as long due to road blockage from the Halloween parade that paraded right down my street in all its glory.

I think this is ample evidence as to why Halloween should be circumvented at all costs.  Now I will tell you how my Halloween boycott ended in great fortune and a magical weekend for all you naysayers out there:

1.  Friday: Since the crowds were going to be out Saturday and Sunday, my friends and I hit the town Friday night.  Streets were clear and we all had on warm outfits to combat the cold weather.  We hopped to a few bars and then, feeling bold, sauntered up to Avenue with a group of 8 guys and girls.  No tables, no thank you.  They let us right on in and we danced it up until one of the boys fell asleep standing up on the dance floor.  This was our queue to head home and call a great night a night.

2.  Saturday: I furtively left my building as to avoid any and all Halloween traffic and snuck in a round of Soul Cycle.  I clicked into my bike, and who do I see three bikes down, looking like swan lake - Charlize Theron.  Wearing only a sports bra and spandex (my boyfriend is cursing the fact that he last minute opted out of this class), she looked better than ever.  I soul cycled like crazy just to keep up and impress this celeb whom I will never see again.  Got in a great work out, still sore from trying to be a swan on my bike like Charlize.

3. Sunday: For Halloween proper, we left the city all together and went upstate to Blue Hill at Stone Barns.  We toured the town of Sleepy Hollow nearby (had to sneak some tradition in), talked to ladies in bonnets who thought it was 1830 and were picking herbs at a nearby estate, and had spiked apple cider in a local pub.   Before dinner, we walked the farm and cooed at the turkeys and piglets on the premises (vegetarians beware: I'm fairly certain, although was too scared to confirm, that these animals do become dinner at some point).  After touring the property we sat down to a 5 course meal.  We learned that at Blue Hill there is no menu, the chef just cooks what he feels at the time.  Special requests are permitted so we let the chef work his magic with one caveat, 'no organs' (thanks to a tip from the waitress - we would not have considered organs in scope otherwise).  The vegetables from the farm were the show stoppers of the evening.  At one point we were served just a piece of lettuce on a plate and it was so flavorful it could have been the entire meal.  The beets were also the best I have ever had (think vegetable fireworks in you mouth).  By the time we finished the food, wine, and pulled our Zipcar back into the city the Halloween parade had just ended.  Perfect timing!

Operation Boycott Halloween - success!


No comments:

Post a Comment