Monday, March 21, 2011

'You Are What You Eataly'


Mario Batali is to the Italian fine dining community what Donald Trump is to crooked real estate.  This is not a warped nonsensical SAT question, it is me professing my love to Mario.  I love Lupa, Otto, Babbo, and Del Posto.  I have even traveled to Hells Kitchen to go to Esca because I leave no rock unturned when it comes to Mario Batali.  So when I heard about his latest venture, Eataly, I had to check it out. 


I went to Eataly for the first time a few months ago and it was not just a great lunch, it was an experience that could easily transport you to Italy, Spain, or any other European market of your choice.  The market place alone is a site to be scene.  The meat and fish are displayed raw, uncut, and in full.  I am not one for seafood, but just viewing the visible difference in shape, color, and texture of a Talapia displayed alongside a Monk fish was fascinating.  You can dine aside the fresh fish at the seafood restaurant inside the market, Il Pesce.  For those that would like a cheese sampling pared with wine, standing tables are set up at La Piazza.  For a quick bite you can stop by the Panini or Focaccia counters for lunch on the run.  I have eaten at La Pizza & Pasta restaurant for a delicious gnocchi lunch and Manzo for a all time best steak dinner.  Both meals were authentic and absolutely phenomenal.  

For dessert, I always swing by the Gelateria and pick up Gelato that is well worth it even on a cold day.  Each time I leave the market and hit the grounds of Madison Square Park its like I am re-entering New York City after being away on a foodie escape.  Next up, their rooftop beer garden, which is set to open this Spring.  Could this place be any cooler?


No comments:

Post a Comment