Monday, May 23, 2011

Accidental Drinks at the Met


The Alexander McQueen Costume Institute Exhibit at the Met has garnered a lot of attention for being a unique showcase of fashion that pushes the boundaries into art.  The galleries display the many dichotomies McQueen explored between culture, politics, and history to serve up oftentimes controversial runway shows.  Or at least that's what the critics are saying.  I wouldn't know because I never made it beyond the velvet ropes.  I suited up and donned my favorite Alexander McQueen scarf to see the exhibit this past weekend, only to be out a twenty dollar cab ride and stuck in an hour and a half line.  Apparently my nice little Saturday was not so unique. 

The afternoon was not totally lost though.  We went to the Met's Rooftop Garden instead.  Not as controversial or envelope pushing as a glimpse inside the late Alexander McQueen's mind, but pretty darn enjoyable.  The cafe has a lovely view of the city and boasts sculptures amid benches where you can sit with a glass of wine or a Corona.  If you happen to be lucky enough to make it inside the Savage Beauty exhibit, let me know how it is.  Otherwise, I'll meet you for a cocktail on the roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment